Friday, July 20, 2012

Tomato Tart

Well, I found myself with a bag of tomatoes and a trip planned for this weekend, so I knew I would have to eat them all, or make them into something or I would come home to some mushy tomatoes. 

So I took out my favorite valentines day pan and made a heart tart!


I'm a huge fan of using what I have in the fridge.  My dad, on the other hand, doesn't mind going to the store before every meal for exactly what he needs. 

So I emptied my parmesian shaker and grabbed the provolone for a delectable pizza-ish tart. 

Crust:
1 1/2 cups flour
pinch of salt
6 T butter
enough ice cold water to keep it together. 

Filling:
5 slices provolone
1/4 cup grated parmesian
tomatoes
1/2 t sugar
salt and pepper

Mix your flour and salt together in a food processor.  Add the butter in chunks until you have a crumby dough. 

You know how I cook... a little of this, a little of that... So drizzle in the ice water slowly until the dough sticks together.

Flatten it all out into a tart pan and bake for 10 minutes.

Take it out of the oven, sprinkle the parm over it and lay the provolone over that.  Decorate your tart with some lovely garden-fresh tomatoes.

Bake until the tops of the tomatoes are starting to turn brown and it looks like you want to eat it.  That's how I cook... I end up with a lot of undercooked and overcooked tries.  I should get a timer. 


This is delicious. Hot or cold.  I prefer room temp, the same way I like my pizza.  mmmmmmm, coagulated cheeeeeeeeeeese. 

I spent all morning baking for a baby shower this weekend.  So I have some AWESOME blogs coming next week.  Keep your finger on that "Pin It" button. 

No comments:

Post a Comment