Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Family Recipe: Blueberry Muffins

We used to make these muffins all the time when I was younger, so I'll consider this a family recipe. 

 

 I only had a few blueberries that I had frozen this summer, so I got into my frozen mixed berries and literally picked out the blueberries... My friends always joke that I would go to great lengths to make something even if I didn't have the ingredients.  

 Don't mix these bad boys too much or you'll have flat dense muffins.  Mine were perfectly fluffy and yummy.   

Don't mind that there is one muffin missing... It's always a crap shoot finding the right amount of batter to fill each cup to equal exactly 12, so I just filled the cups and let them fall as they pleased.  So it made 11.  Get over it.  

Basic Muffins

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup cooking oil

Oven 400°

In a large mixing bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. make a well in the center. Combine egg, milk, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just till moistened; batter should be lumpy. Grease muffin cups or line with paper bake cups; fill 2/3 full. Bake in 400° oven for 20 to 25 minutes or till golden. Remove from pans; serve warm. Makes 10-12 muffins.

Blueberry Muffins

Prepare Basic Muffins as above, except combine 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed, and 2 tablespoons additional sugar. Carefully fold into batter.

2 comments:

  1. How dare you? HOW DARE YOU!!! Making 11 muffins is what we foodies call a Lazy Baker's Dozen.

    ReplyDelete