Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Granola Bars That Taste Ah-MAZING

I have made countless failed attempts at chewy granola bars.  I spend a lot of money on granola bars, and I would love to know exactly what's going into them... but I could never find the right combo of ingredients I wanted to consume and taste.  

I only had to pick up one ingredient for these... it was a trail mix of fruit, nuts, and chocolate chips.  I call that "more bang for your buck".  
One major problem... these are SO good. I could eat the whole batch. 
Ingredients:
  • Granola cereal, 1 cup (Thanks to my mom, I had some delicious mom-made granola.)
  • Rolled Oats, 1 cup
  • Good Sense Trail Mix Caramel Nut Delite, 1 cup (or another fruit/nut mix)
  • Flour, white, 1/2 cup
  • Egg, fresh, 1 large
  • Brown Sugar, 3 tbsp packed
  • Vegetable Oil, 3 tbsp
  • Honey, 3 tbsp
  • Cinnamon, ground, 1/4 tsp
Mix the granola, rolled oats, fruit/nut mix and flour together in a large bowl.  

In a separate bowl, mix the egg, brown sugar, vegetable oil, honey and cinnamon.  


Combine the wet and dry ingredients and spread out into a 8x8 pan.  Press the mixture down with your hands.  


Bake at 325F for 25-30 minutes. 

Makes 10

Nutrition Facts
Cals: 247.8
Fat: 13 g
Cholesterol: 18.5 mg
Sodium: 32.8 mg
Carbs: 28.9 g
Fiber: 2.9 g
Sugars: 13.7 g
Protein: 5.7 g


A few notes: 
-I found that trail mix for pretty cheep at Dahl's, so I used it instead of buying mixed nuts and dried fruit.  The nutrition facts reflect the change.  
-I loosely followed a recipe from some magazine I cut out months ago... Sorry, I can't remember which mag.  
-The recipe I loosely followed  said this made 18 servings, but the photo made them look about as big as the ones I cut. Take that for what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment