Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Got some extra thyme? Make biscuits!


Biscuits is one of those foods my mom used to make all the time, along with pancakes, waffles, texas brownies, Dr. Cookie's cookies.... We were a carb family. 

I had a salad for lunch today, and I was doing my dishes and found the biscuit cutter.... I knew that salad wasn't going to suffice, so I had to whip up some biscuits.  I JUST HAD TO. 

I thought I'd dress them up with a little thyme.  It didn't take much thyme at all! Or much time for that matter. 

Plus, it's a one-pot wonder.  I made it all in the food processor. 

Here's how it's done...

Thyme Biscuits

Ingredients

  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1 cup milk
  • handful of fresh thyme leaves
 Combine the dry ingredients in a food processor.  I used 1 cup of wheat flour and the rest white because I only had a cup left of wheat.  Feel free to mix and match your flours.  I love a biscuit made completely with wheat flour, but I find a completely white biscuit a little gummy. 

Make sure to really mix the dry ingredients.  You can't over mix at this point, but as soon as you add the butter, you have to mix as little as possible. 

Add the butter in marble-sized chunks.  Pulse until you have a crumby looking mix. 

Slowly pulse and add the milk and thyme. Mix just enough to incorporate all the ingredients. 

Dump everything out on a floured surface and fold over a few times.  Pat or roll to about an inch thick, cut, and slap those babies on a cookie sheet.  Bake them at 400 degrees for 13-15 minutes. 



I wish I would have added more thyme but I didn't have much left on the plant I'm trying to grow... 


That seems to always be my problem... Not enough thyme...


No comments:

Post a Comment