Friday, November 2, 2012

Salmon and Lentils

I have SO MUCH good food in my apartment right now. Seriously, just the smell alone is intoxicating.  I keep going down 4 floors to switch my laundry, and when I come back it's like walking into heaven. 

I sorta hate that your nose gets used to the smell... I mean, it's probably good for those days I don't get my dishes done right away, or I haven't done laundry in ages... ahem... But it's bad for me right now! I'm straining to smell the nutty deliciousness in this room.  mmmmmmmm

Anyway, enough about the smell, this isn't scent-ernet you're gonna have to make this for yourself to basque in the aromas God.  

Salmon and Lentils. (I type like I talk, so I literally keep typing "mmmmmmm")
Ingredients
2 3oz salmon filets
salt and pepper

herb butter:
2.5 Tbsp butter softened
1 tsp dried tarragon
1 tsp dijon mustard
a few squeezes of lemon juice
1-2 Tbsp chopped parsley

Lentils:
1/2 cup dry lentils
2 cups water
1/2 onion chopped
1 clove garlic
1 T olive oil
2 cups fresh spinach

handfull of cherry tomatoes

Directions:
Start the lentils boilin' in the water in a large pan.  They take about 15 minutes, but taste them to make sure they're tender.
While the lentils are boilin', sweat some onions and garlic in the olive oil.  Once they're tender and translucent, add the spinach and let that cook down.  It looks like a lot, but 2 cups cook down to less than 1/2 cup, so you're not gonna start looking like Popeye.
Mix up that herb butter.  Just mix it all together.  There ya go....
When the lentils are done, mix them with the onions and 1/2 of the herb butter in the pan.  Let the butter melt down and put the whole shebang aside. 


melt the rest of that herb butter in the empty pan with a splash of olive oil (this keeps the butter from burning, but still allows it to get brown and nutty)
Pat your salmon filets dry and salt and pepper them.  Then put them in the butter pan.  mmmmmmmm.
Salmon cooks pretty fast, and you can see it getting pepto-bismol pink on the side as it cooks. Give it a few minutes on each side.  When you flip your salmon, toss in a few roughly-chopped cherry tomatoes.  Let them warm up while your salmon finishes. 


Top your lentils with some salmon and tomatoes.  Don't forget to drizzle that butter over the top.


This restaurant-worthy meal only has 458 cals per filet and30g protein. 

No comments:

Post a Comment