Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Johnny Cakes and Pulled Pork Stacks

I made a few appetizers for a party the other night, and they were so delicious, I had to share. 

They say you should never try a new recipe for a party... but I like to break the rules.  I ALWAYS make new recipes for parties, in fact, that's why I use parties for!  Trying new recipes. 

I made 4 amazing recipes AND cleaned my apartment in less than 3-hours.  In fact, I made 3 amazing recipes and cleaned my apartment in 2-hours, and then decided to make some mini cupcakes...  So that last hour was just a bonus recipe. 

Needless to say, these next few blogs are quick, impressive recipes that you can entertain with or cook up for your family. 

The first recipe is Johnny Cakes with Pulled Pork Stacks.  It's a crock pot recipe, so you can throw it in the pot in the morning, and have your party underway when you get back from work/errands/fun stuff.

 Start in the morning with the pulled pork.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 boneless pork shoulder (4-5 lb)
  • BBQ Sauce to taste

 Pour the chicken stock in your crock pot.  Add the pork shoulder to the crock pot so it's half-covered by the stock. 
Mix the brown sugar, chili powder, salt, cumin and cinnamon.  Rub on to the pork shoulder so what's above the stock is caked. 
Cook on low for 8-10 hours. 
Shred the pork with two forks and then stir in about a cup of BBQ sauce. 

The Johnny Cake recipe is on the side of the Jiffy box!  It's basically a corn pancake. 
  • 1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter
  • 3/4 cup milk
Mix all of the ingredients and fry like a pancake on a griddle.  I used 1/2 of my cookie scoop to get perfect little bite-sized dollar pancakes.  After the first batch, your mix might get a bit thick.  Just add a bit more milk and stir until it's pour-able. 

Stack the BBQ Pulled Pork on top of the Johnny Cakes and serve**.  Expect some oohs and ahs.  No one will ever know this took you about 20 minutes to put together. 

**I thought about adding a dollop of coleslaw to these, but I didn't grab any at the store. 


No comments:

Post a Comment