Wednesday, August 23, 2017

State Fair Throughout the Years

My very first year, I entered 5 items and I won three blue ribbons.  I won a first place ribbon for a beautiful cake I made with Nutella filling and pirouette cookies on the outside.  I also won two first place ribbons (First in my class and first in the overall division) for my lavender lemon cupcakes.  I was hooked, and so proud of myself for winning BLUE ribbons in my first outing. (My mother in law bought me that shadow box and I spent forever framing my ribbons from my first year.  It hangs on the wall in my kitchen.  I'd love to frame the rest of the years, I just don't have the motivation, or the shadow boxes.)

 


My second year, I bit off more than I could chew.  I put wedding planning aside for a few weeks and tried to cram 20 entries in.  I won a huge second place ribbon and $750 for some turkey lettuce wraps that Arnold convinced me to enter, as well as a second place ribbon for some whiskey lemon bars.  I won a third place for some cilantro lime cookies, and two honorable mentions for a chocolate pound cake and an apple tart.  I'll admit, I was a bit disappointed in myself, but it motivated me to come back organized and prepared the next two years.



 



Last year, I did 10 entries, 8 months pregnant.  I won a first place for my mardi gras pizza, a second for my banana upside down cake, and a third place ribbon for an oreo truffle stuffed peanut butter cookie.

 

This year I entered 20 items.  I entered a lot of cookies and cakes I'd been making for years, and a few new things (I had only made wings once before the fair, and that recipe just came to me as I was driving one day.)  I won first place ribbons for chocolate cake and tiramisu cupcakes.  I won one second place ribbon for my decorated cookies, and four third place ribbons for macarons, wings, pineapple upside down cake and a decorated cake.  I'm pretty happy with 7 ribbons, and I am already thinking up recipes for next year.
I have been looking at some of my grandma's old recipes, wondering how they would stand up to the current competition, so look for some Gma Link recipes in 2018 alongside some new ones from me.



 

 

Which one is your favorite?  Mine is the tiramisu cupcakes, I think.  Or the decorated cookies... or the decorated cakes.  Sheesh.  Or the macarons!

No comments:

Post a Comment