Thursday, May 10, 2012

NOLA BBQ Shrimp


I live in Iowa, and we know how to BBQ 'round these parts... But when I lived in New Orleans we did it a little different.  BBQ Shrimp wasn't at all what you would think of.  It was this soupy buttery spicy deliciousness that you dipped crusty bread in and picked out from under your nails for days.  

Looking forward to my local eating challenge, I'm remembering the regional foods of places I've lived and visited.  NOLA was second to none. The po boys, char grilled oysters, daiquiris... ahem... 

This was a recipe my roommates Ally and Jess made every once in a while, and I had to whip it up myself.  To be honest, this took me 15 minutes top to bottom.  Shrimp are so quick to cook up, so it's a perfect quick meal.

Heat some oil in a pan and cook up those shrimp on both sides.  

Look how pretty pink they get! 

Remove those puppies from the pan and saute some garlic.  Once that's nice and fragrant (2 mins or so) add the wine and let it simmer down to about half.
Add the butter, paprika, cayenne, Worcestershire, salt and pepper and let the butter melt down.
Once it's melted, add the shrimp and stir it all up.

Serve with some crusty bread and a big glass of that wine. (You have to drink the rest of it anyway)

I thought the other day how brilliant it would be to sell wine in 1 cup increments or less for cooking and recipes that don't require the whole bottle... and then I kicked myself.  Leftover wine=happy cook.

New Orleans BBQ Shrimp (adapted from foodisluv.blogspot.com)
2  servings
¾  pounds of raw shrimp. You can buy it deveined and peeled… I prefer to do that post cooking.
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 ¼ cup dry white wine divided… (1 cup for your glass and ¼ cup for your shrimp)
¼ cup of butter
½ teaspoon paprika
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Pinch of salt
½ teaspoon worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon pepper
salt and pepper

2 comments:

  1. I love that you include wine for drinking in your recipe. That's my girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you also love that this was my lunch? Haha.

    ReplyDelete