Monday, June 11, 2012

Berry Patch Round Deux

I went to the berry patch today with my friend Angie because we heard a rumor that it was the last week of strawberries! 

AND IT WAS TRUE!

We barely got two little boxes full each.  And we picked for a good long time!  Keep in mind, I ate a few... ahem.. a lot.  

So we moved over to blueberries to make the trip worth our while.... and we were rewarded handsomely. 


Right now they have gooseberries, currants and blueberries in season.  We didn't have much time, Angie had to get to her old lady water aerobics, and I was hoping to make it to spin by noon, so we stuck with blueberries and strawberries.


After about 10 minutes, I looked in Angie's pail and she only had like a cup of blueberries and mine was darn near full! She had taken the ripe-enough warning from the lady at the front too literally and was only picking the over-ripe ones.  A word to the wise, want to know if blueberries will taste good? EAT THEM.


My friend/spin instructor asked what I was gonna do with my blueberries... I looked her straight in the eye and said, "eat them." But I'm considering some muffins or a crisp.  I bought oatmeal... (I don't even like oatmeal) So, I need to find a use for that.  I think a crumbly blueberry crisp might do.


I've loved the Berry Patch for years, but I never realized how short the strawberry season really is! They say five weeks, but I feel like it's only been about five DAYS long.  I'm sure gonna miss these delicious red berries....  Now, when are cantaloupe back in season? 

Did you know that my mom wouldn't let me have MY FAVORITE FOOD IN THE WORLD, Cantaloupe, in the fridge or even in the house growing up?? She said it stunk up the refrigerator.  Now I get it every chance I have.  And it does stink up the fridge.  And I like it.  So there. 

I have a chicken thawing in the fridge.  It's still frozen solid.  I need to watch the DVD about brewing my beer so I can get cracking on those bad boys, and I'm waiting for some scorching hot days so I can make some yogurt and leave it in the windowsill.  (It has to stay at 100 degrees for a period of time right before it's done.)  I also bought a huge container of yogurt... So I want to eat most of that before I go whipping up more. 

That's really all I have for today... Gino wants me to bring my blog to a proper end... so.....

Remember to tip your waitress!

No comments:

Post a Comment