Thursday, June 14, 2012

Blueberry Breakfast Cookies

I've been considering my options with all these blueberries, all the while eating most of them...  I'm a big fan of blueberry scones and blueberry pie... but none of that quite sounded as good with sorghum instead of sugar... Plus, I have some oatmeal that's just sitting in the fridge getting mad at me.  So I hunted up some Blueberry Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies.


They were so good that the maintenance guys that were fixing my sink/flooded kitchen ate about a dozen!  I love the maintenance guys at my apartment, so I'm  not complaining.

Adapted from Dinner With Julie
Chewy Blueberry Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup sorghum
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups wheat flour
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup (or so) fresh blueberries
Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large bowl beat the butter, oil and sorghum until creamy; beat in the egg ad vanilla.
Add the flour, oats, baking soda and salt and stir until almost combined; add the blueberries and stir just until blended.
How many spoons does it take to make cookies....

Drop large blobs on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes, until set around the edges but still soft in the middle.
I substituted sorghum for brown sugar, and in turn had some runny cookies, so I added enough flour to hold them together.  I would recommend using Julie's recipe if you are going to use brown sugar...

But I love the molasses flavor of the sorghum, and it's far less sweet than sugar and brown sugar, making it seem more like a breakfast cookie than an afternoon cookie... (I don't really need an excuse to eat cookies for breakfast.)

No comments:

Post a Comment