Saturday, June 2, 2012

My CSA. Day 17 of Eating Local


I've had many questions about my CSA, so I've decided to break it down for ya.  

A CSA is a Community Supported Agriculture share.  You are basically buying a temporary share in the farm.  If they do well, you get a lot of produce.  If they don't do as well, you don't get as much.  

In my experience, if a farm isn't doing as well, they still try to float you some extra just for being a member.  

Usually, you pay up front at the beginning of the summer and you pick up a box every week.  With my CSA, I pay at the market every week, but Larry emails me on Thursday asking if I want to switch anything out.  

Here's what his email looks like: 

This week's suggested share includes:


small bag baby arugula
1 bunch baby carrots
1 bunch radishes
2 bunch mixed Chioggia & golden beets w/greens
2 heads baby fennel
small bag garlic scapes

options include:

small bag Beta mix, a mix of baby chard & beet greens. Beautiful colors, small & tender enough for salad, sturdy enough for light sautee.
small bag baby mixed mustard greens
small bag Lacinato kale
Head of romaine or butter lettuce
small bag mixed lettuces
small bag cilantro

I chose to switch the garlic scapes for a bag of cilantro because I have a bag of scapes still in my fridge.  

So my delicious bag included: 
Beets

Baby Fennel

Baby carrots

Radishes

Cilantro

Arugula

No comments:

Post a Comment