Sunday, June 3, 2012

Treasure Hunt and Some Pancakes

So I'm really not a good photographer... I just can't identify the right time to take a picture, and my angle is always just ho-hum.

I thought about buying a camera a few months ago, since mine pooped out about a year ago... But my mom talked me out of it saying she would get me one for Christmas AND enroll me in an adult ed photography class.

I saw this graffiti on a sign the other day during my run, and I knew if I stopped to snap a picture, I'd stop running altogether.  So I passed it by and grew increasingly nervous that it was going to get cleaned up before I came back.

This afternoon I had a little time for a walk between church and work, so I set out to find my photo op.

Here are a few treasures I found-




 
 I also discovered the Little Free Library!  I am excited to come back and get the Hello, Cupcake book.  I just need to find one to replace it while I steal recipes.

Today I've been craving some forbidden foods.  They had popcorn at my church today because we were watching an awesome documentary on a mission trip to El Salvador they did.  But alas... it wasn't local popcorn, so I cried into my local water bottle...

Then, some friends were having Perkins for brunch today, and I had to decline the invite.

Since I gave up some fluffy, chemical tasting, dissolving in whipped, melted butter pancakes, I decided to make my own not-chemical tasting pancakes at home.  I skipped the french fries I usually get with my Perkins pancakes... (I can never decide on sweet or salty!)

(This looks like strawberry cheesecake ice cream)
Strawberry-Buttermilk pancakes.

Recipe
makes enough
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oatmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1 1/8 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp sorghum
2 tbsp melted butter
1 cup mashed strawberries.

Mix the dry ingredients.  Add the wet ingredients, mix it up. 
Let the batter sit for 5-6 minutes to let the oatmeal soak up a little.

Make some pancakes!

I sprinkled some ricotta on top and drizzled a little more sorghum over it all.


I know Elizabeth is going to have a heart attack when I say this, but I'm just not a big maple syrup fan... So the Sorghum gave me a little sweetness.


On another note, I'm SO EXCITED to eat this slab of banana bread that my co-worker Dave's wife made and sent for me.  We've only met once, but I think we're destined to be best-baking friends. 

Last thing, and then you can quit reading this extremely long blog post... My mulberries down the street are still green.  If you know of any mulberry trees that are ripe, let me know.  I'll come by in the middle of the night and pick a bowl-full.

One time, when I was little, I filled this stupid Cat in the Hat hat my brother had with mulberries from my best friend's back yard and it totally stained the bottom and ruined the hat.  

3 comments:

  1. so I was going to ask you if you wanted to take a photography class with me at the Art Center, Ryan and I are going to get a fancy camera and I want to learn how to take good pics! great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I want to take a photography class, too!!! I'm going to get a new camera for Christmas, can we do it together, please please please!?

      Delete