Monday, July 23, 2012

Shower Favors and a Moist Cookie Trick

 FINALLY! I can show you the finished product of my labor.  (That was a baby shower pun)

My friend Emily and I threw a baby shower for my dear friend Heather out in Chicago.  Heather, Emily and I have been getting in trouble together since college, and we especially bonded the summer we spent in Chicago living with 8 crazy girls and a couple in a 4 bedroom house.  Have I ever mentioned that I had to leave the house at 4:42 every morning to work at a bakery for minimum wage that summer? That's a whole different story... 

I'll get to the rest of the shower later this week, when Emily sends me the pic of us three.... But I'm so excited to show you what I'm absolutely sure will become a Pinterest sensation. 


Adorable, right?  I saw this favor idea a while ago, but they had used elephant stickers.  While the stickers were nice and easy, I had this little baby foot tutorial in the back of my head, stored away for the perfect occasion.

When you were little, did you ever make these feet on the car window when it got all fogged up?  I remember making tiny little baby feet on the windows of the school bus, and then wondering if anyone saw them and thought, "there was a baby walking on the window of that bus!"

Well, if you don't know what I'm talking about... Here's how it's done:

All you need is white CD sleeves with a clear circle and a few colors of paint.   This cost me about $8.





Stamp that baby right on the circle.  You might have to play around with the tightness of your fist.  But it perfectly mimics the arch of the baby's foot! Try to keep the bottom clean and round, or you'll get a heel that sort of trails off.  


Now, use your little pointer finger and poke some toes onto the foot. 


Look at that little footprint!


People will say, "Look! There was a baby walking all over those CD sleeves." 


Then, I made some big cookies (We're talking two scoop cookies) And stuffed them in the envelopes for perfect gifts for all the attendees.  


I used a little trick my friend Danielle told me about for the chocolate chip cookies. I added a box of pudding to the mix.  Just dry-regular pudding.  It kept them MOIST.  (Everyone I know hates that word)


 Emily made some kimchi for people to take home too.  It's a Korean dish (Heather was adopted from Korea) that is basically spicy fermented cabbage. 


A little sweet, and a little spice, just like her mama and her aunties.  


I LOVED throwing this shower, and for a moment, I wondered if I could make a living throwing parties like that.... People raved about our ideas and our cooking...  And the games we played were hip and funny.  I had a blast.  So, if you know of anyone looking for a young party planner to apprentice... I have weekends off now, and I'm dang good at this.

2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha! I did the baby foot thing on school buses, my mom's car, the mirror in the bathroom after a hot shower... Pretty much anything that fogged up would end up with baby prints :) Love your shower ideas!! (And, I too hate the "m" word.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so cute! Geez, how many showers have you planned in the past six months!?

      Delete