Sunday, July 29, 2012

Tomato-Basil Biscuits


I've been struggling a little with my bunches and bunches of basil that I've been getting from my CSA.  I need to acquire some walnuts and make a big batch of pesto... But I keep forgetting.


This week, along with my giant bag of the green stuff, I got an equally-as-large bag of cherry tomatoes.  They are as sweet as candy, but there's something about the texture of tomatoes that keeps me from just munching on them like popcorn. 

So, today, I chopped up a big bunch of basil and a big bunch of tomatoes... and made some tomato-basil biscuits!  You know I love my biscuit recipe, so I just altered it a little and punched up the flava. 


Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup butter
  •  3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup smashed cherry tomatoes (straight from my CSA)
  • handfull of basil, chopped

 Mix the dry ingredients together in a food processor.  Cut in the butter and pulse until your dough resembles crumbs.  Add in the milk, tomatoes and basil and pulse until it all comes together.

Dump it all out on a well-floured surface and fold over a few times, like you're kneeding, but gently.

The dough will be very light, so fold until it isn't sticky anymore, adding just enough flour to keep it from sticking to your hands and the counter. 

Cut into perfect little tiny biscuits and add a cute garnish. 

Put them in the oven at 350 until they're done. (You know how I am with time)


These are so good, I think I pulled a muscle in my jaw while shoveling them in my mouth as quick as I could. 



I always freeze as many as I can.  Just cut them out and put them in a tupperware layered with wax paper and put them in the freezer.  They take a little longer to cook, but you can pop them onto a pan straight from the freezer. Perfect addition to a quick dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment