Thursday, August 9, 2012

Parmesan Poppy Seed Crackers

I had a request from Jo Ann (@sylvanend) for a recipe for some crackers I had teased last week.  I had completely forgotten about blogging these... I actually thought I already had. 

But here they are.  They're Parmesan Poppy Seed Crackers, and they are SO GOOD.  The recipe says they go great with wine (mom), but I think they also go great with some cheese and a home brew. 


Pardon the poor photography... I know my skillz have regressed as of late.  I'll bring it up a notch, I promise.

I couldn't stop noshing on them... And I am pretty happy that I know exactly what's in them...  

These are the ingredients in a Ritz...  Ingredients: ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), SOYBEAN OIL, SUGAR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, SALT, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA AND/OR CALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SOY LECITHIN (EMULSIFIER), NATURAL FLAVOR, CORNSTARCH. 

Partially Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil, per tablespoon, packs triple the saturated fat of canola and safflower oil. Ew.  
And what, pray tell, is the "natural flavor" of a Ritz cracker?

Anyway...  I'm happy with my flavorful crackers, and I'll be tweaking the spices for another flavor soon.  

I'm thinking something like... 
  • Cinnamon and sugar
  • Dill and blue cheese
  • Citrus thyme
Anyway, check it out.  

Adapted from http://www.zestysouthindiankitchen.com

Parmesan Poppy Seed Crackers

 

Ingredients:

 
  • 2 cup all-purpose flour, more as needed
  • 3/4 cup finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • 1 chopped red onion
  • 1 green chili
  • 2 teaspoon  sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ tablespoon poppy seeds

       
Directions (straight from Zesty South Indian Kitchen with a few revisions)


  • Preheat oven to 375 F. Put flour, butter, cheese, green chili, salt, shallots, poppy seeds in bowl of a food processor. Pulse until you get bread crumbs. Add about 1/4 cup cream let machine run for a bit until a dough forms. If it does not come together, add more liquid a teaspoon at a time, until mixture holds together but is not sticky.

  • Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface until 1/4-inch thick or even thinner, adding flour as needed. Prick the dough with a fork prevent less puffing while baking.  

  • Bake until moderately browned, about 15 minutes. Cool on a rack; serve warm or at room temperature or store in a Tupperware for a few days.

2 comments:

  1. wow, sounds delicious! I can't wait to try them! I even have the cream in the frig! Thanks for posting. Jo Ann

    ReplyDelete