Thursday, August 8, 2013

Lavender Shortbread with Lemon Glaze - State Fair Recipe

So we continue with my losing recipes... 

This one is a real show stopper though.  Who cares what those people over at All Spice say.

Again, a last minute change on these was a detriment.  I overheard a judge say I should have left the lavender flowers whole for a more intense lavender flavor...  However, I was put off by the whole flowers that got stuck in my teeth and lingered in my mouth.  So I took a spice grinder and crushed them up.  That made the cookies AMAZING in my opinion. 

But my opinion doesn't win me any ribbons.  Jerks. 


Ahem, anyways... Here are my Lavender Shortbread cookies with Lemon Glaze. 

Makes 3 dozen
Ingredients:
3/4 lb butter
1 cup sugar
1 t vanilla
2 1/2 c flour
1/2 t salt
4 t crushed lavender flowers
1 t lemon zest

Drizzle
Juice and zest of one lemon
2 cups of powdered sugar

Directions:
Cream butter and sugar and beat until light and fluffy (3 minutes)
Add vanilla and beat well. 
Mix in flour, salt, lavender flowers and lemon zest.
Chill mixture for at least 30 minutes.
Roll out dough and cut out cookies with a fluted cookie cutter. 
Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes
Cool on a wire rack. 
Mix the lemon zest, juice and powdered sugar until you get to the desired consistency.  Drizzle lemon glaze over cookies once they've cooled. 

I feel like this one had a chance.  I'm excited to see what the judges said. 


PS, do you think I could get free food at this place? 


No comments:

Post a Comment