Sunday, March 2, 2014

Movie Theater Cookies - Just in time for the Oscars!

So the Oscars are tonight, and I will be watching despite having seen exactly none of the movies nominated for just about anything.  I think the only movie I've seen in the last 6 months is the Hunger Games...  I guess we did go see the new Anchor Man, but I don't think that's nominated for anything except maybe a Razzie...

Nevertheless, I'll do anything for a good theme cookie, so after whipping up my BF's fav chocolate chip cookies, and then making a few with walnuts because that's how I like them, but I'm not sure if his roommates like walnuts, and I overthink my baking...  Ahem, anyways, I made some cookies with a little more glitz and glamor.  Something worthy of the red carpet! A movie night cookie with buttered popcorn and peanut M&Ms. 
Movie Theater Cookies

I'm not a huge movie person, but my BF is a movie fanatic, and I go with him if for nothing else than the buttery, salty popcorn.  He insists on salting it halfway through, but that's an argument for another day. 

Today I just air-popped some popcorn.  Did you know that you can put a few tablespoons of popcorn kernels in a paper lunch sack, roll over the end just enough to keep your popcorn inside, and pop it in the microwave?  No oil or butter needed... until it's done popping and you want to drench it.  Yum.  I make popcorn like that at least once a week.  I don't trust all that goop in microwave popcorn, and I'm cheap. 

Someday when I have some extra time, I'll swing by a theater and get a small popcorn and use that, because you just can't recreate movie theater popcorn at home. 

Movie Theater Cookies
1 C. Brown Sugar, packed
1/2 C. Sugar
1 C. Shortening*
2 Eggs room temp
1 t. Vanilla
2 1/2 C. Flour
1 t. Baking Soda
1 t. Salt
2 C. Movie Theater Popcorn
1 C. Peanut M&Ms

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. 

Cream the brown sugar, sugar and shortening together in a mixing bowl.  Add the eggs, one at a time.  Add the vanilla and mix well. 
Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.  Once combined, add to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.  Don't over-mix! 
Add the popcorn and M&Ms with a wooden spoon or a spatula so you don't crush the M&Ms.  
Form the cookies with your hands and place on a greased cookie sheet.  Press down slightly.
Bake at 375 for 7-10 minutes or until they just start to brown around the edges and on top.  Let the cookies cool on a baking rack before eating.  

*You can use 1/2 shortening and 1/2 butter for a flatter cookie... I just like a bulkier cookie to hold up the popcorn and M&Ms.  That way the peanut M&Ms don't look like tumors sticking out of the cookie.

Who are you pulling for tonight?  I really hope DiCaprio snags his Oscar tonight... He might be a long shot, but I feel like he needs the ring if he's ever going to be as good as Jordan. (That was a LeBron joke... Who have I become?)

1 comment:

  1. For the love of movies, you must go see American Hustle. So, so, so good.
    As for these baked goods? Oh my god, they look freaking fantastic.

    ReplyDelete