Monday, October 3, 2011

Dessert Sushi

I love making homemade sushi.  It's so easy to make and so fun to have a bunch of people over for a sushi  rolling party.  One thing that's always eluded me though, is a dessert to serve at a sushi party.  
One time I tried to serve fruit sushi, but it didn't taste good and it all fell apart.
I don't like green tea ice cream and I don't feel like a fortune cookie is fun enough.  Dessert is my favorite part of the meal, so I like to do it up.  

So today I got up the courage to tackle some dessert sushi. 
 I mixed up the rice krispy treats (as the rice).
I am well versed in the art of the rice krispy treat. It's my dad's favorite food.

 Once the rice krispy treats start to set up, I took half of the batch and I used a cookie scoop to make even sizes and then pinched them into a nigiri shaped oval. 
The other half I pressed into a thin sheet in the pan.  (later I use those for the rolls)

 I topped the "rice" with a swedish fish (mwa haha) and a strip of fruit roll up.  

 So cute!

 The thin layer of krispy treat got cut into strips and placed on thick strips of fruit roll up.  The middle of the "sushi" is just sour gummy worms.  
I left a little fruit roll up on the top so it would come all the way around and overlap once I rolled it.  That way it stays together and doesn't try to unroll.
Rainbow rolls anyone? 


I had a pretty domestic day.  I finished altering a bridesmaids dress for a girl I work with and dropped it off.  And then my friend Angie needed help getting her VINTAGE sewing machine working.  She couldn't quite figure out how to thread it.  I got it threaded pretty easily, but the stitch just wasn't working.  I searched the interwebs and finally found out that the needle was in wrong!  I was SO happy I could get it working for her.  I really felt like I'm pretty good at this sewing thing.  


No comments:

Post a Comment