Sunday, November 27, 2011

Guest Blogger: My Mom Makes Cupcakes!

I’m Alisa’s mom. I taught her to bake. Then she took that skill and made it an art. She inspires me. 

So today I channeled her and came up with the perfect Christmas confection: Candy Cane Cupcakes!

First, I made two cupcake batters: a vanilla and a red velvet. Yes, I could have put red food coloring in half of a white cake mix, but where’s the fun in that? 


And I crushed two candy canes. A mortar and pestle would work better, but I made do with my chopper.

Into the cupcake pan, I spread a thin layer of red velvet batter.

Then a layer of vanilla batter.


Then a sprinkling of crushed candy cane.

Then another layer of red velvet batter, another layer of white batter, and a final layer of red velvet.
I baked them for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. With a large star tip, I piped cream cheese frosting and finished with a final sprinkle of crushed candy cane.

Inside, they look like candy canes:


And they taste like Christmas.

Thanks to Alisa for letting me be a guest blogger, and to the Huffs next door for being taste testers.

No comments:

Post a Comment