Tuesday, December 6, 2011

12 Ways of Giving.


So I’ve been trying to get into the Christmas spirit… But it just isn’t working.  I haven’t had the motivation to put my tree up, I haven’t made a list of what I want, or what I want to give people.  I have some projects that people have asked me to do for Christmas and I just don’t feel like doing them.  

Some of this is because I haven’t been home and awake for more than 45 minutes at a time for the past few weeks… Or it could be because I accidentally showed my mom a picture of the shoes I bought her for Christmas…  But that’s another story for another day.  

Either way, I was reflecting on my favorite part of Christmas and I remembered the Angel Tree.  The Angel Tree was something I’ve looked forward to for YEARS.  I picked an angel off the tree each year growing up and then in high school and college I helped the City of Ames organize their Angel Tree.  

If you’re not familiar with the concept, basically you just take an “angel” off the tree.  On the back of the angel is the info for a child, or sometimes an adult, and what they want and, more importantly, what they need! Boots, jackets, Legos…  I always wanted to buy EVERYTHING.  

This year I’ve decided to change my mindset from the hustle and bustle of Christmas spend, spend, spending to giving.  It’s also going to cost me some $$, but I have faith that every penny I spend, wisely, will come back in some way or another.  (Note the WISELY part… This isn’t coming out of my Visa.)

I’ve enlisted some of my friends and family to help with some of the things that will cost a little more.  But a lot of the ideas I have won’t cost me anything, if just a little of my precious time.  

If you got through this photo-less stimulation-free blog, then let me challenge you to give along with me this holiday season.  Can you match my 12 ways of giving? Or can you pick just one? 

If you’re interested in helping with the giving, let me know! Email me at alisa.link@gmail.com and I’ll let you know where the needs are and where I wish I could give more than what’s in my own pocket. 

No comments:

Post a Comment