Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Trestle Trail! I'm a little obsessed...

 My bike rides last year were carefully planned out between runs and swims.  I had mileage spelled out in my date book week by week and rides felt like work.  It was all in my head, and when I got to RAGBRAI, I was completely brainwashed.  The heat and the hills were hard, I was sick, I was recovering from mono... I talked myself into hating my bike and my tent, two of the things I love more than anything!

This winter I got hooked on spin classes.  It was a different ride.  I "spun" twice a week at least.  I loved that I didn't know how far I rode and I didn't have to go if I didn't want to.

When the weather started to turn unseasonably warm a few weeks ago, I took my bike out to check out the High Trestle Trail.
I was expecting a struggle, but I got from Madrid to the bridge in no time flat, and I was loving it! I rode the rest of the way to Woodward and sat down to catch my breath.

I was loving the wind in my face so much that I didn't notice how tired my legs were.
I took a little break to have a snack... When did I become a rabbit? Eh...
And rode back.
12 miles in all, and I considered another 5-6... I went out once more last week when I was having a rough day.  Just rode to the bridge and back.  I found myself smiling on the drive back into town.  All of a sudden when I'm not "training", riding has become a love of mine again.  So I'm not going to train for a triathlon this year, I'm just going to work on my relationship with cycling and enjoy a leisurely ride for what it is. 

On another note, I always try to fill my gas tank and grab a Gatorade at the local gas station in Madrid when I ride the trail.  Just doing my part to boost the economy and give a little "thank you" to the community for building the trail through their back yard. 

I'm no longer the "mayor" of the YMCA on foursquare, but I'm a day away from being the "mayor" of the High Trestle Trail.  And I'm okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment