Sunday, May 20, 2012

Eating Local Day 4: Amish Friendship Bread French Toast

I was tempted today twice... by the same person!  My coworker Emily got Domino's pizza and they talked her into parmesan bites... mmmmm. And then she texts me during my break to pick up two giant boxes of Dots on my way back because she was having a MAJOR CRAVING...  Ugh.

But I did make some yummy food today that I'm excited to share, and I made a MAJOR DISCOVERY.  More on that later. 

For breakfast I was in a rush, so I was happy to have the spinach/strawberry smoothie.  I gave it a shake and it was a delicious glass of local-ness.

For lunch I had a kitchen sink salad that was outstanding! Spinach, green onions, carrots, chicken, egg, quinoa, strawberries and some Gino's salad dressing.

I was lamenting the fact that I didn't have any popcorn yet, and wondering where I could pick some up... When I picked up my own bag of popcorn.... I might as well throw it away I guess...

BUT WAIT!
It refuses to rotate... Just turn your head already!

Iowa popcorn! Pops like a champ because it's made in Iowa! Or something like that...

That will make a great snack whenever I scrape the burnt quinoa off my big pot... ahem....

Dinner was the show stopper for sure though.  I had a loaf of Amish bread in my freezer, and I talked myself into saying it was locally made.  I made it locally before I started this... So there.

This is my project! I don't need to explain myself to you! 

I whipped up 1 egg with 1/2 cup milk and 1 teaspoon of sorghum and dipped the bread in the mixture and threw it in a pan with some butter.

So buttery and sweet that it didn't even need syrup! Which is good because I haven't tracked down any Iowa maple syrup yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment