Friday, September 21, 2012

Spaghetti Squash Carbonara

I searched tirelessly for some sugar-free bacon... Don't laugh, most bacon is  cured with .03% of some sort of sugar mixture... And this paleo challenge is sugar-free. 
I knew there had to be some somewhere, but my Whole Foods excursion came up short. 
FINALLY I found some La Quercia bacon. They dry cure it like their pancetta, so you could even eat it without cooking it! But who wants to do that... 
I cooked it up for this carbonara, and then I had to cook some more because I ate it all. 

So, once I stopped eating all my ingredients... I made some delicious spaghetti squash carbonara.  WLC compliant and I almost forgot it was squash instead of angel hair pasta.



Ingredients:
1 medium spaghetti squash
4-6 strips of bacon
3 eggs
1 TBSP Italian Seasoning
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Split the squash in half long-ways and bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
Fry up the bacon and remove it from the fat.  Don't throw that good stuff away!
Combine the eggs, seasonings and half of the bacon fat.  Wisk like crazy!
Once the spaghetti squash is done, break it up with a fork into long stringy angel hair "pasta" and then scoop it into a frying pan and cover it with the egg/bacon fat mixture.
keep stirring the pasta until the "pasta" is covered with delicious Italian herby eggs.  Finish off with the bacon, chopped.
SO filling.  I said it was 2-servings at first, but there was so much that I split it into 3 servings.  

In other news, I got some dates and they taste like mini caramels.  I think I'm going crazy...

No comments:

Post a Comment