Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Paleo Fish Tacos

I have been actually loving this no-grain, no-sugar, no-dairy challenge! Can you believe it?  I'm almost surprised.  I say almost because I know my affinity for a well-flavored hunk of meat, and I have a way of just barely overcooking some sweet potato fries to make them taste like a dessert.... 

This challenge isn't to restrict myself, it's to order a salad and carefully consider if I want that dry hunk of bread they threw on the plate. It's to fill myself up with dinner and then pinpoint the reason I feel like I need to stuff some dessert in an already full belly.  It's to make a delicious, flavorful fish taco and really ask myself if I'm missing the cheep cheddar cheese or the tortilla. 

And today, I didn't miss either one. 

Paleo Fish Tacos
Ingredients:
Tilapia filet
Taco Seasoning (I made a bunch of this to put in my spice cabinet)
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
Avocado
Salsa
Iceburg Lettuce Leaves


Coat the fish on both sides with your seasoning. 


Put a little olive oil down and saute the fish

Layer a few iceburg lettuce leaves instead of a tortilla.  Some fish, avocado and spicy salsa.


I've heard Iceburg isn't good for much, but it is sure good at holding all these goodies together and guiding them to my gullet. 



When this 8-week challenge is over, I'm going to eat cheese.  But I'm going to eat gooey mozzarella and ripe brie. 
I'm going to have dessert.  But I'm going to have the most beautifully constructed dessert this world has ever seen, and I'm going to do it on special occasions. 
I'm going to eat grains, but I'm not going to eat them by default. I'm going to ask myself if they really add anything to the meal, not build my meal around them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment